DAY 18 - CARDS ON THE TABLE

DAY 18 - 1st JULY 2015

TRAINING - ABS & CARDIO

WEIGHTS DURATION: 30mins                    CARDIO DURATION: 90mins

Pinch, punch, first of the month! Happy July everyone! Yesterday I decided to set myself the challenge of doing 90 minutes cardio in the gym after working out on the abs a bit. It would mean the longest I have ever spent doing cardio in the gym in one session. Well, I'm very happy to say that I completed the challenge. Whilst I write this, I still feel a bit shaky and slightly light headed, but my gosh I'm happy I did it!

As well as doing a solid half hour on the abs before the cardio, I also managed to get in 40 minutes on the ab plate at home whilst watching a fine last set of tennis between Tomas Berdych and Jeremy Chardy at this years British tennis grand slam event, Wimbledon. I must say, it was so motivating seeing Wimbledon on TV, it very quickly reminded me what I was working so hard for; 2 weeks until I go home and I can't wait!


THE WORKOUT

When you take the combined times of both the cardio and the workout, it is right up there with my longest sessions. I wanted to give the whole abdominal section a good workout as the last couple of sessions I've predominantly looked to work on either the upper or lower abs.

EXERCISE ONE

TRI-SET; STANDING SIDE TO SIDES, SIT UPS & FULL STRETCH LEG DIPS - 3 SETS

Following the simple format of a 'super, super set' or 'tri-set', complete exercise A, followed by B, followed by C to complete 1 set.

EXERCISE A - STANDING SIDE TO SIDES - 20 REPS EACH SIDE

 


A new exercise to the program, welcome along! As simple as planting your legs, grab your weights and bob side to side making a full reach to each side. This will look to work all things side of you and predominantly the lower part of the abdominal area.











EXERCISE B - SIT UPS - 20 REPS



The standard exercise for the abs and extremely basic. As I said before, no need to go all the way down but when you come up I like to try and get in a little extensor crunch to work those upper abs. Give it a go.










EXERCISE C - FULL STRETCH LEG DIPS - 20 REPS

 A variation to how I would normally do them on the bench as seen in day 4. The different techniques work the same area of the lower abs but I find these better to gain more strength; I think there something to do with having the body as straight as I do when I do them.
EXERCISE TWO

TRI-SET; SUSPENDED SIDE LEG RAISES, WEIGHTED SIDE UPS & SIT UP MACHINE - 3 SETS

Following the simple format of a 'super, super set' or 'tri-set', complete exercise A, followed by B, followed by C to complete 1 set.

EXERCISE A - SUSPENDED SIDE LEG RAISES - 15 REPS EACH SIDE

 As seen in day 4 but a more advanced way of doing it. By suspending yourself up, you will also be working your arms and general core too whilst working your love handles and obliques when you bring your legs up.


EXERCISE B - WEIGHTED SIDE UPS - 20 REPS EACH SIDE

 
Again, an exercise that we did in day 4. Whilst its an exercise thats hard, I think its one of the best and really works the obliques and love handles properly. As I said in day 4, don't worry if you don't do any weight whilst doing this exercise, just make up with it with some extra reps.








EXERCISE C - SIT UP MACHINE  - 10 REPS

 

I know I only did this two days ago on day 16, but I felt it would be the prefect way to end a very successful session. I did considerably heavier than I normally do as I felt I had already got in a fair few reps, so I just upped the weight to work on the strength. Mix it up!













THE CARDIO

Well, well well. As I said earlier, I set myself a challenge yesterday which I am proud to say I smashed. It was very hard and at points I came very close to sacking it off but that would have meant I failed, which I don't like to do much. Whilst I'm happy I did it, I don't think I'll be rushing back to do another cardio challenge. I'll look to maintain now until the end of the cut with a little variation in there, no doubt.

I was going to do a 45 minute split between the cross trainer and the bike but then I got to 45 minutes on the cross trainer and decided to carry on to burn as many cals as possible; we all know its more effective than the bike. I managed to maintain the 16 minute/kilometre pace which I was happy about. When I finally got to the bike I was a little sweaty and tired, so that was a standard 18kmph. 


 THE DIET

Meal 1
Carb loading ahead of the cardio
  • 1 Apple
  • 100g Rice
  • 100g Chicken Breast
  • 2 Boiled eggs (No Yolk)
  • 1 Coffee
Meal 2
  • 1 Tin of Tuna
  • 1 Apple
  • 1 Protein Shake
  • 3 Boiled eggs (No Yolks)
  • 20 Almonds
Meal 3
  • 4 Chicken Skewers
  • Large Salad
Meal 4
  • 200g White Fish
  • 100g Veg

FINAL THOUGHTS

I'm really, really happy that I've managed to take on the challenge and complete it. The legs are feeling rather sore so I'm not sure how much I'll be doing tomorrow but we will see. A good training session and I feel that the results are really starting to kick on which is perfect with two weeks until I head back to the UK.

Whats been your longest cardio sesh? Was I right to take yesterdays cardio off and do this today? Or should I have done 45 mins yesterday and the same today?

Adieu.


W1 D4. DAY 4 OVERALL

W3 D4. DAY 18 OVERALL
W2 D4. DAY 11 OVERALL





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM FEED

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates