DAY 11 - SHOULD'ER GO BACK?

DAY 11 - 24th JUNE 2015

TRAINING - SHOULDERS, BACK & CARDIO

WEIGHTS DURATION: 71mins                    CARDIO DURATION: 20mins

Yesterday wasn't all that great and has shown me a trend; I can do about 6/7 days and then need a blowout. And by blowout, I mean sharing a tub of Haagen Dazs with the Mrs. I'm not going to get emotional about it although it is a bit annoying, but I fully accept the implications it will have on my end results and that that was needed last night and has put me in the right frame of mind today. I wanted to try a hybrid session to break my way back into the intense training. I was due to train shoulders, but wanted to try and incorporate some back into it as well. 

To be fair, have you ever tried Haagen Dazs: Salted Caramel? Its worth having to work a bit harder in the gym for!




THE WORKOUT



Whilst I said that every workout will fundamentally be different a lot of the exercises that I've previously done on shoulders/back will be in this workout too, purely because I think they work better together to work both muscle groups in the way I want to. 

After my meeting with Haagen Dazs last night, I figured it was imperative that I did the ab-plate this morning which I managed to get 20 minutes on whilst watching more Ellen Degeneres, better than the previous show, it must be said.

EXERCISE ONE

CABLE LAT-PULL DOWN - 6 SETS 15-20 REPS






Standard Lat Pull down to start todays session off - whilst in my last back session I only did 3 sets, I did the first 4 at the same weight repping out 20 and then upped the weight and brought my reps down to 15. I did however make sure I did this in reverse to how I did it on day 7; that time I did heavy first and then changed the weight to do more reps. This was my way of changing up the exercise, even though its fundamentally the same thing.





EXERCISE TWO

SHOULDER DUMBBELL PRESS - 4 SETS 20 REPS








Whilst I did this exercise in the last shoulder session on Day 5, I have changed the style in how I did it. Last time, I did 4 sets 1x20 reps and 3x12 reps but heavier. Today was just straight bat 4 Sets of 20.







EXERCISE THREE

ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROW - 4 SETS 15 REPS EACH ARM








I literally have no idea why, but I absolutely hate this exercise with a passion. No wonder I have never done it in the two back sessions we've had! Make sure when doing it you keep your back nice and straight and you're really extending that arm down before coming back up.






EXERCISE FOUR


SUPER-SET; REVERSE LAT PULL DOWN & STRAIGHT ARM SHOULDER RAISES - 3 SETS

Complete exercise and then to complete one set.

EXERCISE A - REVERSE LAT PULL DOWN - 15 REPS




The aim of this exercise is to be at more of an angle than how I am in the explanatory pictures, to achieve this try and sit a bit further forward on the bench. I didn't do this exercise in my last back session so I wanted to try and get it in. I find this exercise harder than the normal lat pull down so don't worry if your'e not quite doing the same weights.











EXERCISE B - STRAIGHT ARM SHOULDER RAISES - 10 REPS EACH ARM






An exercise that I wouldn't normally do too heavy on but decided to mix it up. Notice how my the back of my hand is facing the wall opposed to the ceiling, this is to work on the inside of the front deltoid. 












EXERCISE FIVE


SUPER-SET; STRAIGHT ARM BAR PULL DOWN & ROTATOR CUFF TWISTS - 3 SETS

Complete exercise and then to complete one set.

EXERCISE A - STRAIGHT ARM BAR PULL DOWN - 20 REPS





Having done a heavier superset previously, I wanted to do another one but concentrating more on endurance.


Similar to the bent over rope lat pull that I did in the last back session, but again just to mix it up and re-use one of the exercises that I did on day 1. Again, I felt it in the triceps and decent for the outer lats and has a more concentrated burn than when using the bent over rope lat pull.








EXERCISE B - ROTATOR CUFF TWISTS - 20 REPS








An exercise that I haven't done in this programme to date. The rotator cuff will support the shoulder massively and its important that you work it out although not essential all the time. It doesn't need a heavy weight and look to twist as you bring the weight forward and round.
EXERCISE SIX


SUPER-SET; SAT IN STRAIGHT BAR PULL & SHOULDER FLIES - 3 SETS

Complete exercise and then to complete one set.

EXERCISE A - SAT IN STRAIGHT BAR PULL - 20 REPS





The cable version of a bar row but another way to mix it up. Look to really lean forward so the arms are as fully extended as they can be when starting a rep. Look to slightly lean back/more upright when you're bringing the bar towards you. You can also vary how high you bring the bar as depending on where you bring it, will change the area of the back you work.










EXERCISE B - SHOULDER FLIES - 15 REPS


A good little exercise to finish off a very high intensity workout. Don't worry if you don't keep your arms completely straight, you'll still be working the shoulder with a bend in the arm. I wanted to do these standing upright opposed to bent over to concentrate on the top of the shoulder opposed to the rear of it. 






THE CARDIO

After probably my most intense workout to date, I wasn't all that interested/bothered in doing an equally intense cardio session which is more than fair enough. I think its important to recognise this because say for example I had done a really intense workout; I'm feeling tired and ready to finish, I then force myself to do a high intensity cardio session, complete it and then feel completely burnt, the chances of having a good session tomorrow decreases.

So, due to that, I only did a very light 20 minute cycle averaging about 16-17kmph. But 20 minutes doing that is better than 20 minutes not doing it!



THE DIET

Obviously, yesterday turned into a cheat day. As well as being double tired, I think its because my eating pattern isn't right and needs reviewing. The last few days I have been trying to have a big meal 1, a small meal 2 post training when I'm not hungry and then a MASSIVE meal 3 and then not eat for the rest of the day. This simply wasn't working because I wasn't listening to my body. I'd be fine and eat loads for Meal 3 at work, but then still eat when I get home out of habit. So today, Ive had a smaller Meal 1, same sized meal 2, I aim to have a smaller meal 3 and then back to my initial normal sized meal 4. My thoughts will be shared in tomorrows diet section!

Meal 1
  • Small bowl of granola
Meal 2
  • 1 Tin of Tuna with a small bit of mayo
  • 1 Apple
  • 10 Almonds
  • 1 Protein Shake
Meal 3
  • 4 Chicken skewers
  • 50g rice
Meal 4

  • 1 Scoop Ice cream
  • 2 Chicken Fajitas
  • 1/2 a portion Chicken Nachos



FINAL THOUGHTS

Although I was disappointed to have cheated last night, I fully accept the ramifications of my actions only effect me (and the girlfriend as she had ice cream too). But all in all, a good session to get back on the wagon. Ill be keeping a close eye on the diet over the next few days, I feel that I'm not making as much progress as I did in week one.

Whats your favourite thing to cheat with? Whats the longest amount of time you've gone without cheating? What do you eat for dinner when heading out?

Peace out.


WEEK 2 - DAY 4. DAY 11 OVERALL
WEEK 1 - DAY 4. DAY 4 OVERALL



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM FEED

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates