DAY 17 - ON THE HARD SHOULDER

DAY 17 - 30th JUNE 2015

TRAINING - SHOULDERS

WEIGHTS DURATION: 70mins                    CARDIO DURATION: 0mins

Day 17 means were more than half way and its now a sprint to the finish line! All together now, we're almost there! Time for another shoulders workout and I'm keen to do a fair bit of pressing and concentrate on the bulk of the shoulders. No need for any cardio today - we still have two weeks left and if I keep killing the cardio I fear I may start to lose a bit of mass we've worked so dearly for. I know this is a cutting regime, but a bit of size would be good too?! Besides, we have abs and cardio tomorrow.



THE WORKOUT


I knew that I wasn't going to do any cardio, so it meant it was time for another real high intensity workout for one of the longest weights duration of the program so far. Whilst cardio is mega important, I think its almost the same as taking a half rest day as I have done a couple of times in the last 16 days; the plan is to do 90 minutes solid cardio and 20 minutes abs tomorrow and I want the legs to be fresh. I figured it'd be better to do 90 minutes proper hard work tomorrow than a 30 minutes lackadaisical effort today.

The day yet again started with 30 minutes on the ab plate although I genuinely can't remember what I watched, it must have been terrible!

EXERCISE ONE

WARMUP - SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE - 5 SETS - 20 REPS
 
Considering I was am going to focus on alot of pressing, I think its important to warm up. I changed where I put my hands, alternating every set. This should not be hard whatsoever, just get the blood moving and wake the shoulders up.









EXERCISE TWO

STANDING OLYMPIC BAR SHOULDER PRESS - 6 SETS - 12-20 REPS

An exercise I haven't done in this regime so far. I would say that if you have problems with your back then look to keep the weight down and concentrate on reps. On this occasion, I varied it between weight/reps. Try and make sure you have a spotter when doing this to save any potential injury.

Set 1 - 20kg 20 reps
Set 2 - 30kg 20 reps
Set 3 - 40kg 20 reos
Set 4 - 50kg 15 reps
Set 5 - 60kg 12 reps
Set 6 - 50kg 15 reps






EXERCISE THREE

SUPERSET; UPRIGHT SHOULDER FLIES & TWISTING SHOULDER PRESS - 4 SETS

Complete exercise and then to complete one set.

EXERCISE A - UPRIGHT SHOULDER FLIES - 20 REPS



An exercise just to break up a bit of the pressing. Upright coming out sideways will still look to work that main bulk of the shoulder. I did this exercise on Day 11 when I did shoulders but this time I looked to up my reps.











EXERCISE B - TWISTING SHOULDER PRESS - 20 REPS

 
A similar exercise to the standard dumbbell shoulder press but with that little twist where you start the rep with your knuckles facing away from you and then as you come up twist them out so your hand has done a full 180 degree turn. Something about that little bloody turn that makes it considerably harder to do than a normal press.












EXERCISE FOUR

SHOULDER PRESS MACHINE - 3 SETS - 10-15 REPS



Time to get back to the pressing after a mini break and time to go a bit heavier than before! This time, I only positioned my hands as you can see in the pictures.

Set 1 - 15 Reps 58kg
Set 2 - 11 Reps 67kg
Set 3 - 10 Reps 67kg

To be fair, I tried getting 3 sets of 15 but failed due to fatigue and the fact I was dying!




EXERCISE FIVE

SUPERSET; OLYMPIC BAR UPRIGHT ROW & BENT OVER SHOULDER FLIES - 3 SETS

Complete exercise and then to complete one set.

EXERCISE A - OLYMPIC BAR UPRIGHT ROW - 15 REPS

 
Normally I wouldn't go as heavy as I did today as I felt that the shoulder session was great so far and I didn't need to do much more but my training partner insisted. I wouldn't normally advise a small swing in the back to get the weight up but I had to in this exercise and after it, I really felt like I had worked both my arms and shoulders. Give it a go, go a bit heavier than you're used to.











EXERCISE B - BENT OVER SHOULDER FLIES - 15 REPS

 And one last exercise to finish up on concentrating on the rear deltoid. Same concept as the upright flies but bend over and look to keep bent over during the exercise in order to work the muscle how you should. A slight bend in the arm is fine, I would only tend to keep a straighter arm when doing rear deltoids on cables.



THE DIET

Not the best day for the diet; it started off great but the fact they were offering free ice cream at work when the sun had set didn't go down too well. I mean, it could have been a lot worse and if you've been keeping up with the blog then you'll know that my achilles heel is the cold stuff! Other than one scoop, its all gone pretty well! I guess its a good thing that I'm planning on doing 90 minutes of cardio tomorrow, that ice cream will be well worked off!



Meal 1
  • Large bowl of healthy Cereal
  • 4 Boiled eggs (No Yolks)
  • 1 Protein Shake
Meal 2

  • 1/2 a roasted Chicken
  • 100g Broccoli
  • 2 Rice Cakes
  • 1 Apple
  • 10 Almonds
  • 1 Protein Shake
Meal 3
  • 4 Chicken skewers
  • 1 Beef Skewer
  • 50g pasta
  • 100g Broccoli
  • 1 Scoop of Ice Cream
Meal 4
  • 200g White fish
  • 100g Veg
  • 1 Mixed Berries pot

FINAL THOUGHTS

A great session but I am regretting not doing a bit of cardio - I was even willing to do it but my partner advised me against it and I guess he's right; if I maintain 40-60 minutes cardio a day, that then becomes the norm and I'll feel like I've under achieved if I then don't do it. But, because of the Ice Cream today I am now motivated to go for the longest cardio session I've had so far just to give myself a challenge. 

How many days a week do you do cardio? If you had one food you could cheat with, what would it be? Whats been your longest cardio session in the gym? Let me know people!

For now, bonne nuit!

W3 D3. DAY 17 OVERALL
W1 D3. DAY 3 OVERALL

W2 D3. DAY 10 OVERALL


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM FEED

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates