DAY 2 - LEG'S GO


DAY 2 - 15th JUNE 2015

TRAINING - LEGS

WEIGHTS DURATION: 66mins                    CARDIO DURATION: 10mins


We all have that friend that skips leg day and I'll admit, I have been known to skip it now and then but I figured if I'm going to do this challenge properly, I have to include them! In truth, the thought of doing legs is far less appealing compared to a doing a solid chest or shoulders session and I don't have much of a valid reason to feel like that. What puts you off doing legs if at all? Let me know!



Today I wanted to slightly change the formula that I generally follow when in the gym and trying to rip (4 sets x 20 reps). I looked to try and do 6 sets and changing the amount of reps/weight. Have a look at the notes below and see if this method of training works for you.




Today started once again by rolling out of bed to do 30 mins on the ab plate; something I'm going to try and achieve every day. Especially if its accompanied by family guy being on the TV at the time! I find it to be a good way to start the day and get me in the right frame of mind.


THE WORKOUT


EXERCISE ONE

SEATED LEG CURL - 6 SETS

I'm weary of doing too much weight on the hamstrings, I find that the more I do and the more size gained, the less flexible I get. For those of you playing sport to a decent standard, be careful when working out on your hamstrings. Theres a fine line between conditioning and over doing it.




Set 1 - 30 Reps
Set 2 - 25 Reps - Same weight as Set 1
Set 3 - 20 Reps - Up your weight
Set 4 - 15 Reps - Up your weight
Set 5 - 10 Reps - Up your weight
Set 6 - 10 reps - Same weight as Set 5

I could feel the method of training working as by the end of it I thought the hami's were going to snap! Hence the same weight/reps on Set 5 as Set 6. I felt like the first 2 sets were concentrating on endurance, set 3&4 were a good cross between endurance and strength and sets 5&6 were good for strength.




EXERCISE TWO

BACK SQUATS - 6 SETS - 15 REPS, INCREASING THE WEIGHT EVERY TIME

Some will say back squats are better (having the bar behind the head), some will say front squats are better (having the bar on your shoulders infront of the neck). Some will say you need your bum to touch your heels, some will say a 90 degree bend is enough. All the instructions get a bit tiring! Truth is, I just try and change it up as often as I can. Today I fancied doing back squats. Set 1 started at 60kg, finishing up on 120kg. I always find you can do more weight than you think when squatting, just make sure you have someone who can spot you!





EXERCISE THREE

LEG EXTENSION - 6 SETS - 15 REPS, INCREASING THE WEIGHT EVERY TIME




A classic exercise, my only other variation on this is to do it one leg at a time but today I stuck with the original and did both at once. A real burner when you do 15 reps, I find it better when you keep your back to the chair.

EXERCISE FOUR

HAMSTRING CABLE EXTENSION - 3 SETS - 15 REPS EACH LEG

As I said earlier, I am always conscience of doing too much on the hamstrings so I only went fairly light on this exercise. The straighter you can get your leg by the end of each rep the more I find it works higher up the hamstring and closer to the bum.





EXERCISE FIVE

CALF RAISES - 3 SETS - 20 REPS EACH LEG





A real simple exercise that you can do virtually anywhere. I always try to vary the speed at which I do each rep. For example, the first 10 explosive and fast and the last 10 slow. 


Because I'm supposed to be cutting, I would have like to have done more cardio today as I said I wanted to try and do atleast half an hour today. Unfortunately, I was summoned to the office earlier than I thought I needed to be in. Ill try and make it up tomorrow, I promise!



THE DIET
MEAL 1

Meal 1
  • 3 Egg Whites/1 Yolk as Scrambled Eggs
  • 1 Tin of Tuna with a small bit of Mayo
  • 1 Rice Cake
Meal 2
  • 200g White fish
  • 100g Steamed Veg
  • 1 Protein Shake
MEAL 2
Meal 3
  • 200g Chicken Breast
  • 100g Steamed veg

Meal 4
  • 300g White fish
  • 100g Steamed Veg

Snacks
  • 1 Green Apple
  • 15 Almonds
  • MEAL 3
  • 1 Protein Hit













FINAL THOUGHTS

Great to get day 2 done and much to my surprise, I'm feeling motivated for more! The weights session itself wasn't as good as yesterday; I think it lacked a bit of intensity compared to other sessions and whilst I enjoyed doing something different in doing 6 sets, I would have been happier doing a couple more exercises with less sets across the board. It was also a bummer to get the call from the boss which meant no cardio, but like I said, Ill make up for it.. Maybe. 

What would you have done differently? Whats your views on back/front squats? 

Let me know, we're always learning!

DAY 2

Over and out. Peace.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM FEED

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates