DAY 16 - BABSIO

DAY 16 - 29th JUNE 2015

TRAINING - BACK, ABS & CARDIO

WEIGHTS DURATION: 56mins                    CARDIO DURATION: 60mins

I know what you're thinking, 'BABSIO' isn't a pun. Its just a made up word, combining 'Back', 'Abs' and 'Cardio'. Ohh, you weren't thinking that? Thats awkward. None the less, a dark day; I ran out of puns. BACK to the drawing board. Offt, I'm BACK in the game! Get it!?

Moving swiftly on, today marks the half way point of the program which is perhaps the reason I'm in a rather giddy mood. I posted yesterday discussing about a potential photo shoot on friday where I would look to cut all of my water retention in order to be super ripped. Well after little thought and next to no deliberation, I have decided against it. I figured I'm working hard enough and my end goal is enough of a target. Ill keep the notes from the last post just incase any of you extra keen beans do fancy it.

Before todays session, I wasn't sure how I'd feel after it because of a bit of fatigue. I had 4 bottles of Carona last night whilst celebrating a good friends birthday which I felt acceptable making an exception for. Anyway, I actually feel great after todays session. After yesterdays short burst of legs I almost wanted to replicate it; the tempo was great, at no point was I bored and my legs feel like they've been really worked. Also, I was planning on doing 20 minutes cardio, but a couple of worldy tunes later, I soon found myself clocking out at 60 minutes!


THE WORKOUT

As I said, after yesterdays rapid workout I wasn't sure how the legs would be today. But they do really feel like they've been worked so I wanted to try and do the + a bit more today. I decided to do back mixed in with one exercise of abs and finish up with some cardio. I didn't feel like I needed a rest so I've kept an abs/cardio workout for when I'm flagging and need to take it a little easier. 

I did manage to get in 35 mins on the ab plate and watched the last ever Top Gear episode in its current format, emotional stuff. For all their critics, I am personally a fan of the Clarkson/Hammond/May trio. Did you notice the massive elephant in the room? Brilliant.

EXERCISE ONE

WIDE GRIP PULL-UPS  - 4 SETS - AS MANY REPS AS POSSIBLE

For the first time in my gymming history, I am starting to enjoy wide grip pull ups. I guess the reason for this is because I've never been able to do them properly. I managed to get 4 sets of 6 proper reps. Make sure you're going all the way up and down when doing them, I think doing 1 rep this way is better than getting 3 rubbish half-arsed ones out.

EXERCISE TWO

TWO HANDED CABLE ROW - 6 SETS - 12-15 REPS


Similar to the bent over close grip cable row that I did on day 7. But instead of using the iron handle, I combined the two cables up and put the normal handles on. The gap in it worked a different part of the back which was great. As normal, look to lean forward and in when reaching forward and lean back and come back with it when pulling the handles towards you.

Set 1-4 was the same weight, 15 reps. I then put the weight up in 5 and again on 6 managing to get 12 reps out.






EXERCISE THREE

BENT OVER ROPE LAT PULL - 3 SETS 20 REPS

An ever present exercise since first doing on day 7 & then again on day 11. To be fair, I absolutely love it and feel that it tears the lats an absolute new one, hence why I've done it every time. Give it a go, let me know what you think. 

Keep those arms nice and straight right until the last second and clench those lats in.






EXERCISE FOUR

INVERTED HANDS LAT PULL DOWN - 4 SETS 15 REPS


In my last back session I just did the normal cable lat pull down, the session before it was a hybrid, looking to twist the hands from in to out when working on it and now this time its just keeping the hands inverted. Feels like it works the upper lat some more. Like always, make sure you're going all the way up to get the form right.












EXERCISE FIVE


EZ BAR BICEP CURL CHALLENGE - 3 SETS AS MANY REPS AS YOU CAN

Perhaps not my most clever manoeuvre when you see the size of my training partner. But then again, I have a competitive thirst that had to be satisfied. The plan is to try and do as many proper reps as you can without too much back swing. When you've given it your all, pass it on over to your partner for him/her to try and beat you. Repeat the process 3 times and choose a suitable forfeit for the looser. I had to do an extra 6 wide grip pull ups after I lost!

EXERCISE SIX

DUMBBELL SHRUGS - 3 SETS 20 REPS


Now I only did shrugs two days ago when I randomly chucked them in with chest but I fear I may have gone a little too heavy and didn't give them a proper workout. So today, I took the weight down, left the bar alone and did them with free weights anyway. I held each rep for at least a second at the top to try and make sure they were worked properly, unlike the other day.








EXERCISE SEVEN

UPRIGHT HIGH ROPE PULL - 3 SETS 20 REPS


A new exercise that I'm not sure what to make of. My training partner showed it to me and whilst I feel that it looks like it should work, maybe I was doing the wrong actual technique or maybe the weight/rep structure was wrong. Or, maybe its just not that good an exercise? I'll have to get back to you on this one.









EXERCISE EIGHT

WEIGHTED SIT UP MACHINE - 6 SETS 5-30 REPS


Just to keep the abs ticking over and doing an exercise in a structure I haven't done before. It felt good at the time, try it out!

SET 1 - 40KG - 30 REPS
SET 2 - 49KG - 25 REPS
SET 3 - 58KG - 20 REPS
SET 4 - 67KG - 15 REPS
SET 5 - 76KG - 10 REPS
SET 6 - 85KG - 5 REPS






THE CARDIO
We all get those days where you know you have to do some cardio, you psych yourself up for it, get on the machine and just don't feel up for it in any way, shape or form. On the contrary and considerably less frequently, you get those days where you feel like Forest Gump did when he just decided to go for a 'run'. Well, I am pleased to announce that today was one of those legendary Forest Gump days. I planned to do 20 minutes and ended up doing 60, RESULT!! I think I could have done more but had a meeting with HR which I was already 10 minutes late for. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the next FG day and managed to get even more out.


THE DIET

Meal 1
  • 3 Boiled Eggs (no yolks)
  • I'm aware it looks rank, but give the tuna & eggs a go. I love it!
  • 1 Small Bowl 'Fitness' cereal
Meal 2
  • 2 Rice Cakes
  • 1 Tin of Tuna
  • 10 Cashew Nuts
  • 2 Boiled eggs (no yolks)
Meal 3
  • 3 Chicken Skewers
  • Large Salad
  • Hummus
Meal 4
  • 1/2 a Chicken
  • 200g Broccoli
FINAL THOUGHTS

The extra cardio today has made me really happy and again motivated me to crack on had have a great rest of the day. To be fair, probably a good thing I did after having loads of food and a couple of beers yesterday. I really like these high high intensity workouts, I think that its a good way to train if you don't have time to get cardio in because you do get a proper sweat on when doing weights that intensely.  

Anyway, Cheerio.
W3 D 2 - DAY 16 OVERALL

W1 D2 - DAY 2 OVERALL


W2 D2 - DAY 9 OVERALL



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

INSTAGRAM FEED

Popular Posts

Twitter Updates